Who We Are
We are a group of dedicated women drawn together through our shared love of flowers and gardens to raise funds for and increase awareness of the plight of African grandmothers raising their grandchildren orphaned by HIV/AIDS.
Like flowers that grow from seeds and bloom, our love for African grandmothers grows in the knowledge that we can make a difference with
to support the Grandmothers to Grandmothers movement.
We continue to:
- raise funds with events such as our
- Garden Tour
- Book Exchange
- Fashion show
- raise awareness through
- presentations to community
- presentations to service organizations
- collaborate with and support
- local groups
- Grandmothers to Grandmothers movement nationally.
Grandmothers to Grandmothers Campaign
This is not about charity—charity is too arbitrary–This is about rights. Theo Sowa, African Grandmothers Tribunal Film
HOW THE CAMPAIGN BEGAN
Following the International Aids Conference 2006 in Toronto, grandmothers across Canada were moved by the African Grandmothers’ daily struggles to survive, their courage, and their positive attitudes.
When the Canadian Grandmothers to Grandmothers Campaign began it was about:
- Easing the pain
It then evolved to
- Turning the Tide of the HIV Aids pandemic
Now, in addition to these two goals, there is also a focus on supporting African Grandmothers and their communities in:
- Building resilience
- Restoring justice for Grandmothers across the continent
Stephen Lewis Foundation
Every dollar raised is a blow to the pandemic. — Stephen Lewis
The Stephen Lewis Foundation provides assistance to those most in need as a result of HIV/AIDS by putting resources directly into the hands of community and front-line organizations.
- The Stephen Lewis Foundation works hard to ensure that 90% of all contributions to Grandmothers to Grandmothers Campaigns go directly to its project work in Africa.
- Stephen Lewis Foundation is funding more than 1100 initiatives in 330+ community based projects in the 15 countries shown below
- $80+ M dispersed and committed to programme spending since 2003
- $21 M raised by Grandmothers to Grandmothers Campaigns since 2006
About the Stephen Lewis Foundation
The Stephen Lewis Foundation works with community-level organizations in Africa. These organizations are turning the tide of HIV/AIDS in Africa by providing care and support to
- orphaned children
- people living with HIV and AIDS.
These grassroots groups are the lifeline for their communities. They provide
- education about HIV prevention
- care and treatment
- medication and other necessities
They reach sick and vulnerable orphans and other AIDS affected children through home-based health care and they help orphans and vulnerable children access education and work through their grief. Of course they support grandmothers caring for their orphaned grandchildren.
To learn much more, visit the Stephen Lewis Foundation website.